Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
In physical fitness, pain can be a signal that something’s wrong with your body and may have nothing to do with your actions. For example, if you were to stop exercising immediately after feeling any pain (even mild discomfort), your body would try to heal itself by shutting down certain functions until it could repair itself safely and efficiently.
But if you ignore the signals and keep exercising, your body will eventually go into overdrive trying to heal itself or shut down completely, leading to injuries or serious health concerns. There are many common exercise pains, and it’s important to know how to work past them and when to call for help.
Anyone who does any weight training knows that having a tight chest can make it hard to lift weights or even breathe properly when doing exercises like crunches, push-ups, and bench presses. To avoid this problem, try doing side lying triceps extensions or cable pushdowns instead of regular push-ups so that your weight doesn’t push too hard on your chest muscles, causing pain there too. If you experience unusual or unexplained tightness in your chest, seek medical care immediately.
Pain in Neck, Shoulders, or Upper Back
You might have pain in these areas because you’re working out too much. Ensure you are not overusing your neck, shoulders, or upper back muscles. Also, consider setting aside time for rest between sets. If you feel your body is not responding well to your workout routine, it’s time to take a break from working out and see if you can return later. If pain is persistent or gets worse, contact your healthcare professional.
Pain in Lower Back
Exercising with poor form can cause pain in the lower back area. If you feel discomfort when doing exercises such as squats, lunges, and deadlifts, try using a foam roller for self-massage or ask an expert who knows how to help you instead of doing it yourself. You can also try using an exercise ball instead of weights for better comfort when performing specific exercises.
Staying active as we age is excellent for our physical and mental health. However, knowing when to slow down, stop, or even seek help is critical to ensuring you don’t cause any irreversible harm. We only have one body to care for. So, when in doubt, always seek the advice of a licensed physician.
- VIDEO: Medicare Supplement Plans
- VIDEO: Medicare Advantage Plans
- VIDEO: Medicare Basics Part D
- VIDEO: Medicare Basics Part B
- VIDEO: Medicare Basics Part A
- VIDEO: How do I Choose Medicare Coverage When I Retire?
- VIDEO: 5 Important Medicare Facts for Pre-Retirees
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year’s Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn’t Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- I’m 50 Years Old. Should I Keep My Life Insurance?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Life Insurance Policy
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- 3 Incredible Healthcare Smart Technologies Coming Your Way
- Do I Need a Long-Term Care Plan?
- Senior Diet: To Meat or Not to Meat
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- How to Get Health Insurance if You’re a Freelancer
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- Ways to Locate a Lost Life Insurance Policy
- Critical Times in Life that You Need Life Insurance
- Giving and Forgiving
- Why Buy Life Insurance on Children
- Things We Are Grateful for This Year
- What to Avoid When Switching to Medicare from the Public Health Exchange
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Holiday Party
- Is One of These Factors Keeping You from Seeking Life Insurance?
- Who Invented Insurance Anyway?
- Common Senior Micronutrient Deficiencies
- The Art of Aging Well
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Using HSAs in Your Retirement Planning
- 6 Strange Insurance Policies You Can Buy
- How Valuable Is Cash Value Life Insurance?
- Mistakes You Can Make When Exercising at Home
- Why You Should Never Lie to the Underwriter
- Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
- Will My Life Insurance Policy Cover Me If Something Happens While Traveling?
- I’ve Been Denied a Life Insurance Policy. Now What?
- Bucket List Ideas and Why It’s Important
- Getting Fit Before the Medical Exam
- The Basics of Insurance APIs
- 8 Gas Savings Tips During Summer
- How to Stay Hydrated During the Summer Season
- Safety Tips for Outdoor Barbecues
- What You Don’t Know About Senior Fitness
- The Last Guide to Chair Yoga You’ll Ever Need
- Sleep Care is the New Self-Care
- Why Gardening is Good for Your Health
- Carbon Monoxide Concerns in the Home
- How to Save on Electricity for Free
- Why You Should be Grateful for the Year 2020
- Whole or Term Life Insurance
- Does a Stay-at-Home Spouse Need Life Insurance?
- Preventing Heart Health Issues
- Life Insurance for Your Newlywed Child
- Exercises for a Sedentary Lifestyle
- Post Pandemic Travel Tips
- Remote Activities You Can Do with Your Grandkids
- Benefits of Grateful Living
- Power Foods that Lift the Spirit
- How to Live Without Regrets
- Reducing Stress Through Music
- Best Nutrition Apps